A Little About Us
There is no charge to become a part of this project; simply join our email list. Please read on, to see what motivates us.
This project is managed and supported by MRGEDA (Middle Rio Grande Economic Development Association). The initial funding for the project was provided by a grant from the USDA. With your help we will become a vehicle for promoting the vast number of culture-related entities and activities in the Mid-Rio Grande Valley.
Our slogan* captures much of what makes the cultural aspect of our region so great. Imagine the wonder in the minds of the ancients as they looked up at their night skies after spending the day in the blazing sun carving petroglyphs. There’s not a cowboy on the range who doesn’t feel that same wonder today. We try to capture some of that feeling with our enchanted sky parties and the tours of our several astronomical observatories.
So what’s this got to do with “NM Art South of I-40”? Pretty much everything, we think. “Culture” can be a slippery concept to define, but we’ll go with this, as found on the web: “the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.”
That’s a really broad brush, but when you consider the range of art, science, and history our region presents to the public, we think we’ve got it covered. Particularly if you couple this with the majesty of our high-desert landscape and magnificent mountains. If you haven’t yet taken the opportunity to explore the Middle Rio Grande Valley, we invite you to do so. It’s always a hazard to list possible stops, for fear of offending through omission (if we are talking to you, please contact us!). But here’s a short list:
- Elephant Butte Lake State Park, Elephant Butte
- Elfego Baca, Socorro & Reserve
- Rio Bravo Fine Art Gallery, Truth or Consequences
- Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, Socorro
- Alamo Gallery and Gifts, Socorro
- Trinity Site (when open)
- New Mexico Bureau of Geology Mineral Museum, Socorro
- Belen Harvey House Museum, Belen
- Geronimo Springs Museum, Truth or Consequences
- Socorro Picture Framing, Socorro
- Belen Art League, Belen
- Spaceport America, Truth or Consequences
- Vertu Fine Art Gallery, Socorro
- Tomé Art Gallery, Tomé
- The Lightning Field, Catron County
- Very Large Array, Socorro County
- New Mexico Tech Performing Arts Series, Socorro
- Socorro and Central New Mexico Musical Events
- Enchanted Skies Star Party, Magdalena
And for many more attractions visit some of our tourism websites:
- What to do in Truth or Consequences, Elephant Butte and Sierra County
- Visit Socorro
- Visit Catron County
- Visit Valencia County
There is no charge to join NM Art South of I-40. We would appreciate it if you considered joining MRGEDA, but even that is not required.
For most of you joining MRGEDA would cost $50.00/year. Joining would mean that your voice at meetings, and during our annual election of officers, could help guide this project. If you are interested, a MRGEDA membership form can be downloaded here.
* Many thanks to local music legends Jim Jones, Doug Figgs, and Mariam Funke, for letting us incorporate the title of their trio “The Cowboy Way” into our slogan. Please check them out and visit their facebook page.